As seen in our Summer | 2012 issue
2 lbs ripe peaches
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
3/4 cup granulated sugar
Juice of half a lemon
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cut an “x” into each peach. Dip peaches in the boiling water just until the skins start to curl back. Remove with a slotted spoon and put into a large bowl of ice water. Peel the skin off and discard.
2. Cut peaches up into pieces, being careful to remove the pits.
3. In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine peaches, sugar, and lemon juice, and cook down for about ten minutes.
4. Add ginger and cook, mashing peaches with the back of your spoon and stirring regularly, until the fruit is cooked down to your desired jam consistency, about ten more minutes.
5. Store in a clean, dry glass container for 2-3 weeks (or much longer if you choose to process the jar for long term storage).